FOR ALL LIFE-THREATENING EMERGENCIES, CALL 911. Then request a Crisis Intervention Team.
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: (800) 273-8255
- TRANS HOTLINE: (877) 565-8860
This service is toll-free, confidential and 24-hours.
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: (800) 656-4673
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Helpline: 1 (800) 950-6264
- The TREVOR Lifeline (Suicide Prevention for LGBTQ Youth): (866) 488-7386
- Substance Treatment Referral Hotline: (800) 662-4357
- National Teen Dating Abuse Hotline: (866) 331-9474
- CRISIS TEXT LINE: Text “START” to 741-741
- ULifeline (http://www.ulifeline.org): A website devoted to cultivating mental well-being and safety on college campuses.
- NAMI (http://www.nami.org/): A national organization dedicated to mental illness and health-care.
~essays we recommend~
“Now We Are Five,” by David Sedaris
“The Relationship between Creativity and Mental Illness,” by Maria Popova
“Crazy,” by Robert Roberge
“When Your Dating Profile Includes Mental Illness,” by Cassive Shortsleeve
“The Writing Life: Writing and Mental Health,” by Joseph Jaynes Rositano
“Keep Your Friends Close but Your Anxiety Closer,” by So Sad Today
“My Lovely Wife in the Psych Ward,” by Mark Lukach
“Quest for Mental Health: A Story in the First Person,” by Jeremy Kay
~books we recommend~
“Maps to the Other Side,” by Sacha Altman Debrul
“It’s Kind of a Funny Story,” by Ned VIzzini
“Your Voice in my Head,” by Emma Forrest
“My Age of Anxiety,” by Scott Stossel
“Girl, Interrupted,” by Susanna Kaysen
“An Unquiet Mind,” by Kay Redfield Jamison
“A Mood Apart: Depression, Mania, and Other Afflictions of the Self,” by Peter C. Whybrow, M.D.
“Prozac Nation,” by Elizabeth Wurtzel
“Skin Game,” by Caroline Kettlewell
“Unholy Ghost,” edited by Nell Cassidy
“Running with Scissors,” by Augusten Burroughs
“When Rabbit Howls,” by Truddi Chase
“Lucky,” by Alice Sebold
“Stalking Irish Madness,” by Patrick Tracey
“Clean,” by David Sheff
“Beautiful Boy,” by David Sheff